Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Possible Homasote Replacement

Like most model railroaders, I'm always on the lookout or looking for a way to stretch funds and I just might have found a way to accomplish this. The fall of 2019 I spent some long deserved time with close friends operating on one of their layouts. While spending time with them a conversation on layout construction came up. One of the subjects was on Homasote. I had mentioned that I was using Homasote and Dave Cochrun turned to me and told me he had found a much cheaper replacement for Homasote. A type of fiber board that could be acquired at a local Home Depot. Upon returning from my trip and with pictures in hand, I immediately went in search for this fiber board at my local home depot. I was unable to find the same material that Dave had used but did find something close to it. I had found a fiber board impregnated with a light coat of asphalt called Southern Pine Asphalt Board. the coating has a light tacky feel to it, but once I got it home and after a few days the tackiness went away. I will update the blog as my experience with this material continues.







As you can see in the photo, the coating does not penetrate the full thickness of the board.





The photos below are examples of the material Dave Cochrun had located and used. At the time he mentioned this to me, he was unsure it was still available since it had been 18 months since he last purchased it. The material in the photos above was all I could locate that seemed to come close to what Dave had used. (Photos below provided by Dave Cochrun)



Enjoyed this post? Never miss out on a future post by following my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment